Monday 4 August 2014

Jamie Oliver's Sweet Potato Soup





I love Jamie Oliver!

The first time I saw Jamie Oliver's cooking show was a couple years ago when I was studying in Guelph. After quitting the job in Shanghai, I decided to pack up and move here for my post-graduate education. Going back to school after a few years of working was exciting but challenging. I enjoyed the different ways of education between eastern and western countries and the dynamics in the classroom. The courses and topics are interesting, the presentations and projects are nerve racking. After a whole day of fierce debates in class and some intensive brain storming with study groups, my favorite thing to do when I got home was to put the food channel on and relax my brain with some awesome food shows. Jamie Oliver's was one of them. How can you not be attracted to a top tier chef who cooks with ingredients that can be found in your own garden, uses pans and pots that you can grab from your grandma's kitchen, and teachs techniques that you can probably learn with your 10-year-old kids. Oh, did I mention he's also humorous and cute?

When Chris and I started dating, we both enjoyed watching Jamie's show and always had a good laugh together. We bought a lot of his cook books and this sweet potato soup recipe was from one of them, "Jamie's Food Revolution". The ingredients are very common: celery, carrots, onion, garlic, sweet potatoes, vegetable broth, curry powder, and chorizo sausages (the most important ingredient I believe, because it brings the heat that balances out the sweetness, and combined with curry powder, it creates such a unique flavor.) Chris prefers the hot and spicy chorizos and usually has them as snacks right off the grill. I recently only eat sweet ones since I'm breastfeeding the little guy. But the spice in the soup definitely is a hit! We loved it!

Recently it says on the news that Jamie Oliver is going to open an Italian restaurant in Toronto next year. Oh well, guess where we are going for a big date night?


No comments:

Post a Comment